Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Mr. Blue Sky

Anyone remember that song Mr. Blue Sky by ELO? I was an ELO fan back in the day. Back in the day when I was 10. I'm pretty sure Out of the Blue was my first album purchase. I remember being in the record department of a discount store with my big brother and picking out that one and the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack. My brother disapproved of the Saturday Night Fever choice. He still disapproves of my music choices more than 30 years later. He checks my kids' iPods to make sure I'm not influencing them too much.

I have ELO and Saturday Night Fever on my iPod now. I have a whole playlist of some of my favorite songs from when I was a kid in the 70s, which include:
The Night Chicago Died--Paper Lace
Convoy--C.W. McCall
New York Groove--Ace Frehley
Billy, Don't Be a Hero--Bo Donaldson and The Heywoods
The Locomotion--Grand Funk Railroad

What I don't have is Delta Dawn by Helen Reddy or any of (my first true love) Andy Gibb's songs. I see a visit to iTunes in my near future.

I really wasn't planning on writing about 70s music, but I saw the sun and blue sky today (yay!) and "Mr. Blue Sky" popped into my head when I was titling my post, and off I went. In fact, I'm listening to Mr. Blue Sky right now.

We're supposed to get more than a foot of snow tomorrow so no Mr. Blue Sky tomorrow.

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous photo!

pat said...

LOVE that sunflare!! I'll take some of that blue sky, please.

Shauna said...

Awesome shot! I too love that sunflare.
And thanks for the chuckle earlier :)

Mom2Drew said...

Awe...super duper terrific blue!

Becca said...

Awesome capture! Isn't it funny how seeing something can trigger a flood of memories? tfs

Reds said...

Gorgeous sky - and I have the same music taste as you do - loved ELO!!

Anonymous said...

This shot is beautiful! I also LOVE the new look in the post below!
Cari

Liz said...

Gorgeous!
Weren't you so glad to see sun and blue sky the last couple of days? I am NOT looking forward to the next couple of days... 12-18 inches of snow *grumble* *grumble*

CindyTykie said...

Beautiful photo!

Sharon said...

I love the tie-in! Beautiful blue sky!

My first album purchase or gift (I can't recall being so old) is Jim Croce. It was vinyl.

Lou said...

I loved your music 'ramblings.' I grew up loving that stuff too. I'd forgotten all about Billy Don't Be a Hero! We used to listen to that and cry. And Seasons in the Sun. sniff, sniff.

Anonymous said...

Awesomely bright sunny snow shot!

shirley said...

Awesome - I love a blue sky on a winter day after it has been so grey. Great capture!

Lauren Hartman said...

Ahhhhh, I hope you sucked up as much of that color as you could today! Looks like it was absolutely gorgeous out!

Thanks for the trip down memory lane with that music. Though you made me feel very old when you were saying you were 10 when you bought Saturday Night Fever! Gosh, how long has it been since I thought of Helen Reddy?!?

Amy said...

That is a gorgeous blue sky, love the sun flare!

Hey, I have Delta Dawn on my iPod! I have Helen Reddy's version, along with I Am Woman. I also have I Just Wanna Be Your Everything by Andy Gibb, love it! :)

Diana said...

gorgeous photo and sun flare!

Anonymous said...

LOL....I love your randomisms. Just awesome. I don't even know what you are talking about, but that is okay because I get it. Music is defining. I am sure you are getting ready for another round of snow puking too. Let's ditch this place and go to Florida until the snow melts, K? I will pick you up.

Margaret said...

Love the sunflare.

And don't tell anyone, but I loved ELO, too! I need to get some for my iPod, I guess. Oh, and I haven't thought about Billy Don't be a Hero for years....Funny!!!

Gypsy Girl(Brenda) said...

LOL I remember those songs thanks for the trip down memory lane. What an awesome shot love the blue sky and sun shinning.

Rachel @ The Little Blue Room said...

Super cool shot. The blue is amazing and the sun flare is perfect.

Amy B. said...

amazing sunflare! Love this shot.

Tori said...

such a beautiful blue sky... and love that flare!

Bobbi said...

Hmm do I remember Mr. Blue Sky, perhaps I shall refer you here lol http://bobbi2156.blogspot.com/2008/09/mr-blue-sky.html We played Mr. Blue Sky at our wedding while our guests were being seated :) This picture is gorgeous, love sun flare.