Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Fuzzy

Thanks for your comments on my flower photo! I keep forgetting to post my settings. I did do a custom white balance, and I was using my 24-70mm lens. And I think it is a trillium. The photo was taken at a local botanical garden.

I spent some time the other day chasing this guy around with my macro lens. I liked the way the sunlight was shining through his fuzzy hair while he crawled on my fence post.
Canon 40D with 100mm/2.8 macro lens
Av mode: ISO400 F5.6 SS1/125
Custom white balance
Exposure compensation: +2/3
Slight up in contrast overall and soft light layer applied to caterpillar only in PSE
Resized and sharpened for web


And I did decide to break out of my comfort zone of shooting flowers in AV mode and work on the theme. I wanted to experiment with flash exposure compensation.
These were all shot in manual mode at ISO400 F5.6 SS1/8. I had the flash facing directly on the cup. I know I should have gotten out the tripod to use such a slow shutter speed, but I just wanted to see the flash difference.

Flash exposure set at -2:
Set at -1:
And set at 0:
I want to try fill flash outdoors in bright sun, but the weather is not cooperating. A project for another day.

13 comments:

Molly said...

Love your caterpillar shot! I really need to do some FEC experiments like that. Thanks for the idea. :)

Reds said...

I hate caterpillars... but you managed to take a great pic of one!! And thanks for sharing your practice with the flash!

Anonymous said...

Great Caterpillar shot...but ewwww.

Chell said...

Shiver at the first one. Great flash samples..

Debbi said...

I was just reading about flash compensation the other night - so fun to see the difference in the shots! Catepillar shot is great!

Michelle said...

that caterpillar is amazing. i've never seen one that close. very cool.

Tracy said...

I didn't know caterpillars could be blue! Great shot! Thanks for the heads up on my broken link!

Amy said...

What a beautiful caterpillar shot! I just love the pretty blue and your fabulous focus!

Shawna said...

Great macro shot.. I can totally "feel" the texture! Great flash experiment... I need to do that!

Melissa said...

OMG I hate those things. They always end up on my totes at softball games, etc. ewww, but great macro!

Angela2932 said...

Love the caterpillar, but it cracked me up to read the post first and I was a bit taken aback to think what guy you were chasing around with a macro to photograph his hair!!!!!

mel said...

great shot of the caterpillar!

Amy said...

That caterpillar shot is fantastic! I need to do the same and practice with flash.