Saturday, June 7, 2008

Flashy flashy

More flash experimenting. This time I got the tripod out so they wouldn't be so blurry.
All three of these are SOOC and were shot with a Canon40D with 100mm macro lens on manual mode at ISO400 F11 SS2.5. First one is auto white balance (although I could have sworn I'd set a custom one with my handy-dandy new white balance cap), and on the other two white balance was set to flash:

No flash:
Flash with flash exposure compensation at 0:
Flash with flash exposure compensation at -2:
I'm thinking custom white balance would have worked best on all of them. I still hate flash, but I'm going to keep experimenting.

14 comments:

Reds said...

Love your experiment shots! Learn so much from them! :)

pat said...

I like the comparisons, B. Gotta admit, I like the first one best...

pat said...

PS--like the new avatar shot!!

♥ Amy said...

Fun experiment, but I vote for #1.

jordan.krogman said...

I think I like the non-flash shot the best, too. Where were you aiming the flash?

Mom2Drew said...

What good examples, but I'm enjoying that first one best.

Sharon said...

I don't have the patience to learn flash right, maybe next year. ;)

Beautiful flowers!

Amy said...

I admit I like the non-flash one best too. We're bad!

Joanne Fowler said...

Love the deep red on the first one! Looks like your having fun!

Rheagan Leatherwood said...

I rarely use flash and like it. In fact I can think of only one time. I like it a little out side in sunlight.

Amy said...

Very pretty flower, it looks Christmas-y. They all look nice, but my favorite is the first one. I really prefer flowers with natural light, I think you can see more detail. :)

Angela2932 said...

Thanks for including the details about which are with flash, and which without. I like the without flash, also. The "without flash" has much more detail in the photo, and it seems to get lost with the flash. I have no clue why that would be. But your photos are motivating me to try working with flash next week.

Anonymous said...

I just bought my flash too...it was my most expensive thing I have bought that I am not sure I like that much. Hahaha

I think you did great. Experimenting is a great way to learn.

Michelle said...

great job on the experimental shots. i have to agree, the first one is my favorite.