Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Horseshoes

My father-in-law's horseshoes. If you visit him, he'll challenge you to a game. And most likely whip your butt.
Canon 40D with 24-70mm lens at 48mm
Center weight metering
Av mode: ISO 640 F4.5 SS1/320
Custom white balance
Exposure compensation +1.00
Soft light layer in PSE

Thanks for all your comments. When I get a few minutes I'm going to play with the feet shot some more using some of your suggestions. I love playing with shots like that. And I realized I didn't say what it was a photo of. Sometimes I forget that I saw the pre-cropped version and other people might not know what it is. It was DD jumping on a trampoline, and that's the safety netting behind her. She was in her semi-formal dress because I thought that would make a fun jumping shot, but when they didn't come out like I'd hoped, I thought I'd crop and play.

22 comments:

Margaret said...

Love that horseshoe shot. So rustic-looking. My dad used to say, "Almost only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades." I know he didn't make that saying up, but I always thought it was funny....once I was old enough to understand the humor in it!

Kristina said...

I think this shot would look really cool with some texture added to it! (But, I think almost everything looks cool with texture.) Just looked at the one below, and looks like you got lots of great input! I agree that I'd like to see the context a bit more by adding below the feet. Can't wait to see what you do again with it!

Cindi Koceich said...

I love the texture in this shot!!!

Michelle said...

i really like the feeling of this. definitely takes me back to simpler days of backyard bbq's and playing yard games til dusk. nice job.

Amy said...

What an awesome shot, I love the feeling it gives!

Shawna said...

Really neat shot! Looks like they have been through a lot!

Gypsy Girl(Brenda) said...

What a cool shot. I don't think I do themes well either.

Mom2Drew said...

I am so not good with horseshoes, but I'm glad that someone is. I like the rustic feel to this.

Stacey said...

Cool shot. I love the textures and color of this. It very artistic. Nice work.

Donnah Ciempka said...

He would whip my ass, I suck at any of those sort of co-ordination games. I love the shot and how it has special memories for you.

Donnah Ciempka said...

He would whip my ass, I suck at any of those sort of co-ordination games. I love the shot and how it has special memories for you.

Reds said...

Love this! Love the texture and color! :)

Anonymous said...

I am so so bad at horse shoes. I just cannot get it!

I love your shot though. The rustic feel of the shoes with the texture of the tree is great.

Kim said...

Nice composition.

April said...

great shots..i suck at horseshoes.

Sandra Collins said...

stunning

Jess said...

Oh yeah, he would DEFINITELY whip my butt! But I would sure try, I love horseshoes!

Angela2932 said...

I love this shot, Becky. In fact, this may be my all-time favorite shot of yours! I like the detail, the composition, the lighting and blend of colors, and how nice it is as a photo that captures a slice in time.

mel said...

very cool shots.

Diana said...

very niceshot. i havent played horsehoes in a long time so yeah you would probably kick my butt

Bobbi said...

I love horshoes! But i am not good so I am sure I would lose. Great shot, I wonder what urban would look like on it with all the rust.

Sharon said...

Cool photo!