Thursday, April 17, 2008

The Secret Life of Bees

Good thing I'm not allergic to bees. There were about a hundred of them swarming around my crocuses. Don't they look like they're part of a carnival ride here? That one on the far left makes me think of the Dumbo ride at Disney for some reason.
This is my guess this for today, because I don't know what these are. Pat? I thought it was another patch of crocuses, but they look different. They're smaller and not as "cupped."
Here they are from farther away so you can see how they grow low to the ground and in a cluster. I love the way my DH randomly plants bulbs all over our yard and I get a little surprise in the spring:

And the answer to yesterday's photo was....wellie boots:As inspired by Jess, here are things that made me mad or bummed me out today:
1. I have been really good about diet and exercise and the scale JUST. WON'T. MOVE. And I'm hungry ALL.THE.TIME.
2. Ants. Every spring we get those big black ants. I hate them.
3. Laundry. Endless laundry.
4. DS's first high school baseball game was scheduled for today but got canceled. I was really looking forward to it.
4. My TiVo box keeps crapping out and having to be restarted.
5. The Sox lost last night--to the Yankees.

Things that made me happy today:
1. The weather. Sunny and 70 degrees. Feeling the sun on my back as I lay on the lawn and took photos of flowers. Not needing a jacket.
2. Seeing ducks and wild turkeys.
3. I'm having a good hair day.
4. I have lost weight since November. I feel better. I'm healthier.
5. Hearing birds sing.
6. Finding out that my dad and stepmom will be visiting us in Maine for a whole month this summer.
7. A new magazine and Netflix movie in the mail.
8. Nobody in the family has been surly today.
9. Iced coffee.
10. The List of the Day blog. Always good for a laugh.

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love all of these shots especially that first one...I am also loving your lists!
Cari

Reds said...

Great list!! Beautiful flowers - can't help you with naming the flowers... just love flowers but don't know their names!! ;)

Anne said...

The first shot is awesome. I was drawn straight to the flowers and then started to notice the multiple bees. Love the Dumbo bee!

Jen said...

HA! That one bee (on the bottom) looks like he's coming for a landing! Nice job!

Mom2Drew said...

Love your boots, need a pair.

That purple flower is pretty, obviously the bees think so too.

Bobbi said...

Great flower shots! Bees scare me though. Nothing can go wrong when you are having a good hair day :)

Jess said...

The flowers are BEAUTIFUL! I AM allergic to bees, so no way would I have been that close to the crocuses! Yikes! I have no clue what the 2nd patch is but they sure are pretty- and such a happy color! :)

I love your wellie boots- I need some! Those are too much fun!

I also loved your lists... it's nice sometimes to write things down so you can SEE them, isn't it? I hope your good outweighed your bad today! :)

Anonymous said...

Pretty flowers sorry no help here with the names. The bee one is cool. fun lists.

Michelle said...

those bees are so cool. love the way they are hovering.

Kristen Wagner Penn said...

Wow! Those are great, I am terrified of bees. Those boots are super cute too!

pat said...

Becky, I love your Wellies! Who wouldn't be in a good mood, gardening in those? LOVE the Dumbo be--just the right slant and tilt. Great action capture!! As for the yellow-orange flower, yes, it is a crocus. It's just a smaller, earlier version than the fancier purple and striped varieties. And for the clump in the grass--it could've been landscaping-by-squirrel. They're really good at digging up bulbs and relocating them. LOVE your lists!!!

For Over 29 Years... said...

OH wow, your bee pictures are so much better then mine. Way to go!!!

Liz said...

Hi Becky!!!
That first shot is amazing!! That first bee is so crystal clear. I love that you captured the bees all swarming around your crocuses or is it croci?
I sent you a peamail hopefully it goes through. If not let me know. :)

Angela2932 said...

Great lists! What netflix movie did you get? I love that first photo; the bees (dreaded bees) look almost suspended in air! Glad they weren't in MY yard while I was stuck on the ground, and thanks for the hysterical story about Johah's . . . ummmmm. . . . "pastimes!"

Christiana said...

Love that first shot with all the bees buzzing... way cool.

Suzy said...

Ah ha they were boots! Great shots and I love those orange flowers!

Stacey said...

Great shots. The flowers are so colorful and so are those boots!

Anonymous said...

Now those are definitely reasons to be happy! I love getting new magazines in the mail.

The flowers are just gorgeous, and I can't believe you caught all of those bees in there.

Amy said...

Beautiful flowers. Seems like we were just all dying for Spring to come and it's finally here. Yeah! Glad your happy list is twice as long as the other one. Looks like a good day! :)

Val said...

Nice shots! I love the slant that bee on the left has!

I think we would have a blast hanging out!!

Debbi said...

Great list - I might have to try that myself. Love the shots of the boots!

Tera Fraley said...

I love that first shot and the bees you captured, good thing you arent allergic!! I love those wellies, they are GREAT! Nice to hear more about your day too :)