Saturday, April 12, 2008

First crocus, birds caught on camera, and a missed bird photo op

When crocuses decide to come up, they come up fast, don't they? These weren't there the day before. I just checked my photos from 2007, and I see the first appearance of a crocus on April 1. This year: April 11. I guess this winter wasn't really much longer than last winter; it just felt that way. I tried different USM settings on this: the recommended Web sharpening in a Scott Kelby book. Does it look okay or too sharp and noisy? (ISO on the shot was 200, so the noise would be from the sharpening.)And my bird(s) of the day: pileated woodpeckers. My Audubon book says about these birds: "...often shy and hard to observe. Obtaining a close view of one usually requires careful stalking." I used my 70-300 lens, and these are cropped, so I was still pretty far away (thus the not great quality). DH had seen one in a tree at the end of our property, so I went out a couple of hours later and listened for the pecking sound and followed it through the woods until I spotted them. I tried to get closer, but the snow was still a little deep in places, and the dog was running around me like he'd just drunk a six-pack of Red Bull. Not exactly careful stalking, so I was pretty pleased to catch two of them with my camera.

A full-body shot of one. They're about 17 inches, or crow-sized.


What I didn't catch on camera today but did see: a bald eagle! Flew right over my house, and I saw it out the back door as I sat on my sofa. When I call my mom and tell her of these sightings, she's going to flip. This is one of the ways we bond now. Man, I'm an old fart.

18 comments:

Mom2Drew said...

Holy cow those flowers are UNREAL! I mean...they look fake they are so freaking cool! Ummm...did I mention those flowers rock?

Mom2Drew said...

The flower shot does NOT look too sharp or noisy to me. Sharpening for web is one of those things I think necessary for internet viewing. What numbers do you use? I tend to hover around 50/.3/0 If that's too much, I half the first number...if not enough, I double the first number, but most always keep the second two the same.

Margaret said...

Those flowers are just incredible! I'm amazed at the color and clarity. Cool shots of the woodpeckers, too!

Chell said...

Wow those flowers are so pretty I have never seen those colors before. Good job capturing the wood peckers. I have not been able to catch a shot of the ones here that are trying to make a nest by pouding through our Chimney cap..

C said...

My first words were... "OH WOW"
These are so pretty! The flowers... the pattern and detail is awesome! SO pretty!
And how cool to have got these shots of the woodpecker. AND were able to get them with a super hyper doggie around ;) great job! Good ears too!
I don't think the sharpening is to much and nor do i see noise from it :)

C said...

OH, and i really love how the red POPS in the bird shots too!

Christiana said...

I like the woodpeckers a lot, I LOVE the flowers beyond reason, lol. Those are really awesome. Great job.

Sharon said...

I have never seen crocuses like that, very cool! Love the birds too.

pat said...

Becky, I AM SO JEALOUS of those pileated woodpecker shots. They are SO hard to get, and you got TWO birds, and two shots!! Nice work! I get all jazzed when I have eagles overhead, too. I figure any day I see (or hear) an eagle is a good day! That must make me an OF, too.

Angela2932 said...

Beautiful flowers, woodpeckers, AND a bald eagle???????!!!!!!! Amazing! This POTD is great! I'm loving learning about photography, and now birds, too! I don't understand sharpening, and hope mom2drew keeps commenting on this. . .

Yvonne said...

Great pictures! Love the flowers, they are so crisp and colorfull. Love the red in the woodpecker pictures! Those birds are hard to get though, great shot!

Tera Fraley said...

Ohh that flower shot looks great!! So vibrant and crisp! I enjoy seeing your birds too.. I never see any in our yard!

Reds said...

Wow! Those are awesome shots!! Love both the flower shots and the birds shots!

Anonymous said...

Those flowers are so perfect. I cannot get over how things have just sprouted up around here.

I love your wood peckers too. They look fierce.

Val said...

10 days of winter is a LOT longer! hehe Great shots

Suzy said...

I love love that first shot! It's just stunning!

Anonymous said...

Man those flowers looks fake. The woodpeckers are beautiful. Oh man on the bald eagle. One of my dh jobs in FL was closed down because of a pair of nesting eagles and eggs. Then reopened cuz they couldnt find them again. One day at lunch we saw the whole family OMG but did not mention this to anyone. They are awesome.

Bobbi said...

I love that flower picture. I just came home to a bunch of "there overnight" flowers the other day too, great surprise.