Sunday, April 20, 2008

Children week

This is my son, the beloved, with whom I am well pleased...to borrow a quote from The Big Guy.Just a mommy-goggles snap of my boy Cameron, smirky half-smile and all.

The birds in yesterday's post, from top to bottom, were a chipping sparrow, two male cowbirds, a chickadee, and a purple finch. Some of you wondered how I got sharp bird photos. Like anything, the answer is practice, practice, practice and taking lots of photos. This time of year I get a really wide variety and a large number of birds because it's migrating and nesting time. I do have a lot of trees in my yard and hang a lot of feeders. I get as close as I can to one of my feeders outside. (I usually scare them all away when I appear and then after I've been standing quietly for a while they'll come back to feed again.) I use my 70-300 lens set at 300mm and at the lowest F-stop I can with it at that length (5.6--it also has image stabilization) and then I shoot a ton of photos and crop in on the sharpest of them. Some birds are not very shy, like chickadees, so you can get pretty close--they just don't stay in one place for long so you have to be quick that way. Thanks for letting me share with you!

19 comments:

Tracie said...

Oh Becky, what a nice picture! He's very handsome:)

Michelle said...

he is so handsome! you're going to be beating the girls off soon!

Anonymous said...

hes very handsome! very nice eyes!

ahhh the birdlady reveals her secrets! lol i picture you in camouflage...just waiting! ;)

pat said...

Becky, he is so cute! I love that half-smirk. It is SO boy. Thanks for the bird tips. The last time I tried a feeder in the yard the elk emptied it in 20 minutes...

Angela2932 said...

Oh, Becky, he is handsome! He'd probably get along well with my guys. . . They could all be mischievous together! Thanks for sharing the details on the birds. . . . hmmmmm, I might have to talk my husband into a new lens. . . and trees, or maybe moving someplace that has better trees. . . .

Yvette A said...

What a good looking young man you have

Stacey said...

Great shot. So clear and sharp. I love the expression on his face.

Anonymous said...

Wow! He is so handsome. I love that half smirk that boys of all ages give.

Malisa said...

love that grin on his face! Very nice!

Val said...

Aw, he's a cutie! You should be well pleased!

Mom2Drew said...

OK, I LOOOOOVE his expression here. He looks so fun and full of life, GREAT job!

Reds said...

Very handsome!! You must be so proud! :)

Jen said...

Nice picture and what a handsome guy!

Shawna said...

What a great shot, awesome focus!! His smirk is so cute!

Bobbi said...

Not a mommy goggles pic at all! He is a cutie!

jewels said...

OK! That look totally made me have a great toothy grin! LOVE it! :)

Cheers,
jewels

Farrah Jobling said...

It's a great shot! I really love how well she stands out from the background! Great job!

Amy said...

Looks like a sweet son you have there, I like his half-smile! Thanks for the tips on the birds, I really want to get some shots. I have a 70-200 lens that I'm going to use, I think it has IS too. We still have a bunch of snow in the yard and another storm coming tomorrow and Wednesday and then another next week! Maybe after those I can put up a couple of feeders. :)

Tera Fraley said...

how cute!! Great shot! He looks like hes enjoying it, dont let him fool you!