Wednesday, March 12, 2008

An animal photo with my new toy

I've kind of been wanting a fisheye lens, but I just don't think I would use it enough to justify the expense. I don't do much wide-angle stuff at all. So I was checking out Amazon for some cheapo alternatives and came across one that would work with the Rebel.The good news is, I had a $25 gift certificate and this little thing only cost $23.49.
Here's the oh-so-exciting view of the area leading into my bathroom, just to show the effect.
It has to be used on my kit lens (with an included adapter). The dog one was at 18mm on the kit lens. It looks like I can go to about 24mm and eliminate the black barrel effect but keep the fishy look, but anywhere from 24 up to 55 just looked normal (like a cruddy kit lens with an even cruddier piece of glass layered on it).

You get what you paid for, and since I paid nothing except shipping (and even got a free lens cleaning kit thrown in) I'm pretty happy.

Now I think I'll put my photo-equipment savings toward the 40D.

25 comments:

For Over 29 Years... said...

I think it's pretty cool looking! The dog one is hilarious!

C said...

I think that's COOL! The dog shot is so fun! :)

Anonymous said...

That is pretty cool...I have been dying to get a fish eye but just don't know if I will use it enough...I will be curious to see what you think of this...
cari

Jeanette said...

Very cool!!!

Amy said...

i'm surprised that you don't have a tongue attached to that lens! I get so scared that the dogs will lick them that I have to stay back from them. Cool shots and I love the new lens!

Margaret said...

I love that shot of your dog! Too funny. That lens looks like so much fun!

Danielle said...

You'll have to post more pictures with that. I've seen it and have been wondering if it would be worth it to get.

April said...

that's awesome. i love the dog shot..so cute!

Tracie said...

Looks like you're having fun with it. Love that dog picture!

Angelica said...

Wow!! That thing is awesome! I just might have to order one of those :) Love that shot of the dog!!

Amy said...

That's pretty cool and you can't beat the price!

Kristina said...

Very cool effect. Good job, bargain hunter!

mamawest777 said...

Love the first one! Cracks me up!!! You are going to have to tell us more about your "fake'!

Jess said...

Oh well... it's still a fun effect nonetheless! I love the doggie shot! :)

Val said...

What a fun new toy!! LOL at the dog shot

Reds said...

That first shot is too cute!! Love the nose!!! I want a fisheye too... makes for wonderful photos!!

Jodi said...

I've wondered about these things before... so you like it? I'm totally tempted to get this too. Show us more! Tempt me more! :)

pakosta said...

how cool is that! LOVE IT!
tara

Anonymous said...

Pretty cool looking shots.

Shawna said...

That's so fun! And what a great deal!

Joanne Fowler said...

LOVE the first shot! It's so great! What a cool little tool! Will it work on my kit lens too? How fun would that be?!

Debbi said...

Very cool! What a great deal! Fun pictures. You'll definitely have a lot of fun with this lens!

Tera Fraley said...

Pretty cool!! I love the look of fish eye shots. Stinks about the black barrel though!

Anonymous said...

Well I think that is pretty darn COOL! I know what you mean about the practicality of the fish eye. I totally love them on Heather's blog, but I can't say that I will ever get to use them that much. But I think your bathroom looks great. And really clean too! The puppy sure looks like he is enjoying it! Hehe

Sharon said...

I love the first one. Looks like fun!