Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Things I Hate, Vol. 1

Here's a photo of something I hate:

I loathe these things! And what the heck is it anyway? A child? A turtle? A turtle-child? And it has eyes, so why doesn't it have a nose or mouth?

And why does my neighbor have one? Dude, you live on a dead end in the middle of nowhere. We see maybe 10 cars a day up here. You don't exactly have traffic screaming through YOUR DRIVEWAY at 50 miles an hour. Maybe you didn't put it up for its supposed speed-deterring effect; maybe you just think it's cute. It's not. It's seriously fugly.

What I can't figure out is why I hate them so much. It's not like my house and yard are ready for a Better Homes and Gardens photo shoot. I don't much care what ugly lawn 'art' people put in their yards. But these turtle-children bring out this unreasonable anger in me that makes me want to speed up and run them over whenever I see them (ironic, no?) It's this weird visceral thing.

I think I'm not alone in my hatred, however. I came across this story. Seems there's a violent movement against them in Bethesda, MD. I think I'm fighting my dark side better than the Bethesda vandal, though. My neighbor's turtle-child had lost its flag one day, and I stopped to put it back. Sure, I hate the thing, but there's no reason not to be neighborly.

13 comments:

Reds said...

Don't have these green things in Montreal - so happy about that!!! Did you neighbour see you take of pic of it???!!! ;)

Sharon said...

I never really thought too much about them but that story kind of makes me laugh. My guess is that people hate to be told what to do but someone without the proper authority.

pat said...

Hee hee hee. My first thought when you asked about the eyes and no mouth was that children should be seen and not heard. LOL, but I am warped. I don't like those things, either--little odd alien beings trying to flag down new abductees.

Jess said...

ROFL! These are on my pet peeve list too... Uhm... keep your kids out of the road if you're that worried about it! LOL. They ARE pretty darned ugly. :p

Jackie's Shot said...

I have a neighbor that still has pink flamingos so I gues we are behind the times. I am not sure I would ever say this but I think I would prefer the flamingo. Hope the green alien doesn't come this way.

Angela2932 said...

Yuk! Literally! They remind me of "Mr. Yuk" stickers, pretending to be sweet. I've never seen them, but definately NOT appealing. They look sneaky and sinister. But here's what I want to know: do they glow in the dark? They look like they'd glow in the dark, and that would SO be the last straw. I'd HAVE to run them over. (in the dark.) Stephen King would have a field day with these little monstrosities.

Tori said...

LOL! I've never seen/heard anyone use the word "fugly" before with the exception of myself and DH! That cracked me up! I've never really thought much of them before, but it is pretty ugly!

Gypsy Girl(Brenda) said...

Don't know what to say about them but you are funny. We should have a pet peeve theme for sure.

Bobbi said...

Oh my gosh you crack me up. There is this evil part of me that just imagines myself finding your address and sending you several..several of these. I am not that evil though (ok maybe I am but my laziness outweighs my evilness-I am the diet coke of evil)

I will however probably take every picture I ever see of these now and someday have a collage all for you on my blog lol.

Anonymous said...

Oh my word Becky...you totally crack me up. That is a riot. I HATE LAWN ORNAMENTS! Period. Hate them. Even the pretty glass balls and the cute ceramic bunnies (I think those are so gay, and my grandmother used to make ceramics and I can't think of anything that I like about the whole genre of that craft to begin with). Our neighbor has one that has a fake dog pooping. No joke. I am so going to take a pic of it the next time I think of it, and post something nasty on my blog about them.

Amy ~ Just Being Aimlyss said...

Those things are pretty stupid and I've often wondered if it is supposed to be a child or a turtle! GMTA! :)

Amy ~ Just Being Aimlyss said...

Hi Becky! I forgot to tell you that I did sell the fishy lens. I had hoped you'd buy it so that I could see what amazing shots you'd get with it! Which camera do you use? I have the 40D and because of the lens conversion, I do prefer the Tokina since it goes down to 10mm. If you're using the 5D, then I'd get the 15mm, otherwise I honestly think the Tokina is the way to go. Amy :)

Suzy said...

I've never really thought to much about them before now. Although I realize I slow down when I see the one down my street. The ones around here look different (not like turtles). I must say I disagree and I'm all for anything that makes this world a safer place for children.

xoxo