Wednesday, August 13, 2008

My pool looks like crap

This is a reflection of clouds (and a dead dragonfly) in my swimming pool, which looks like crap. The water is green---again. We've been fighting phosphates and algae blooms all summer long. Every time DH gets it all cleared up again, it rains and rains and gets all nasty again. Then the sun shines (like today), but the water is all green and yucky, so still no swimming. Boo hoo poor me.Ok, whine over. I scored at a surplus/salvage store today (Marden's for you Mainers out there) and got these books. Some of these were on my books-to-read list, and I couldn't resist getting them for 75% off. The only downside is that they don't have that new-book smell because they were salvaged from a bookstore that had a fire.
I just realized one is missing from the pile. There was a book I loved when I was a kid called Jane Emily that I read about a million times, and I'd never seen it in a bookstore or library since then, so I had to get that one for DD even though she's probably too old for it now. There's nothing like a stack of new books to read, don't you think?

16 comments:

Amy said...

I LOVE your book shot. We have a place here called "Ollies" that has books and all kinds of other stuff cheap. Love going there.

Amy said...

I love the book shot too! What a blessing to encourage your DD to read! I loved to read as a child and teen and wish i could get my mind wrapped back around it because I just loved it! Grad school sucked the reading life out of me......just waiting for it to come back...... :-)

Gypsy Girl(Brenda) said...

To bad about the pool. Wow some pile of books. I am reading 2 right now, just finished the yummy mummy myself tell me if you like it. To slow of a read for me. That is my nice way of saying boring but with my personality type I cannot start a book and then not finish it.

Anonymous said...

Looks like you have some fun books to read. I have to add that I love the shot you have in yesterdays post!!! LOVE IT!
Cari

Reds said...

Loveyour book pile!! You should see mine!! ;) Love reading - just came back from vacation and bought about 10 books to read...

pat said...

Becky, I really LIKE the dragonfly shot; I love the colors in the water, and the reflection is wonderful. We have a place called "HalfPrice Books" that I love to hunt in. I've read "The Book THief" and really enjoyed it. The author really paints with language well.

Kristina said...

So, fun to have a pile of books. My problem is that I always have a pile of books that I'm reading all at once, so I never finish any! I really have to get better about that. LOL about your pool :)

Sharon said...

Algae makes for some cool colors. ;)

I love Laurie Notaro!

Val said...

That reflection is perfect! mirror like! Looks like a fun pile of new books! I just scored a new pile at our library's book fair.

Amy said...

Love your pile of books! I forgot that I did this with a pile of cookbooks a couple of weeks ago, I'll have to post it tomorrow. I agree, there isn't much better than a pile of new books. :)

Amy said...

Forgot to mention that your 'poor you' pool works pefectly for your photo! Great shot!

Jess said...

Awww, your poor pool! This is why I am SO thankful I have a cover for mine- I actually haven't had much of an algae problem this year. But MAN that stuff is persistent! Ick!

For Over 29 Years... said...

Love both of these shots, so crisp and clear. I also love the one from yesterday. Just gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

love you books!

Alexis said...

That's too bad about your pool! I would be dying to go swimming if we had a pool. I love your book shot!

Bobbi said...

Oh that is quite a huge stack! I love reading when it is storming outside for some reason.

Ok so you have to tell me how much you love Richard Cheese, cause I love, love him! He does lounge version of so many songs. I love all of them...Hey Ya, Baby Got Back, Welcome to the Jungle is amazing...anyways I love him ;)