Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Aperture

Boring, huh? But they're little things that have meaning to me. The "egg" was my Nana's (I guess it was used for darning socks), and the rock is from the spot in Acadia National Park where DH proposed. I snagged it when we went back to the spot for our 15th anniversary. Please don't tell the National Park Service. I don't want to go to jail. I promise it's the only thing I've ever taken, and I always stay on marked trails and don't disturb the animals or natural plants. :-) I put these things in the same photograph only because they sit in the same cubby in my computer desk and because their colors are complementary--and I wanted to demonstrate aperture.

Shot with 100mm macro lens in AV mode at ISO 400. This one was F22:
And this one was F2.8:
And I have to post a slightly less boring photo. A winter wonderland shot from today's snowstorm.

18 comments:

Margaret said...

I love how your shots demonstrate aperture. Cool rock and egg, too. And your winter wonderland photo is simply spectacular!

Anonymous said...

Holy cow look at all of that snow!!! Yikes...Great DOF on the second photo!
Cari

Sarah Phipps said...

wow.. and we are crabby down here because it slipped under 60 degrees.. love the photos.

For Over 29 Years... said...

Very nice journaling. It's neat to do something like that every once in a while!

Chell said...

Love your DOF. pretty picture of your snow storm..

Mom2Drew said...

Nice example and that egg looks good enough to eat (almost;)) Oh, that snow is just gorgeous!!!

HeyLady said...

I like photos of my 'things' so I didn't find them boring at all.

Your tree photo was beautiful though.

laurie

Amy said...

Great examples of aperture and I liked reading your journaling! That last shot is beautiful.

periwinkle eye images said...

I love your stone shots - great focus and visual lesson for the apertures. ML

Anonymous said...

Oh wow what a beautiful winter wonderland shot.

Val said...

Good illustration of aperture. the winter shot is beautiful!

Unknown said...

Awww that is so sweet. Thanks for letting us see these special things. Wow, we are just missing all this snow! tfs.

pakosta said...

love all that snow!
i wish ours was that pretty!
tara

Mandy said...

Becky...can you BELIEVE all this snow we are getting. I live in Rumford, and I think we have only had like a 6 hour break from it in the past 36 hours. I love your little mementos. Acadia is a special place for us too. I just love that area so much. I promise not to tell a sole. I think I have a few "lifted" items of my own.

Jessica said...

Winter wonderland photos are so beautiful to me. Always so quiet and peaceful looking.

Tera Fraley said...

Ohh that last one is so pretty, love the snowy scene.

Kristi said...

I LOVE your egg and rock! So beautiful!!

Liz said...

Aren't you just loving this wonderful weather we are having?
That rock egg is so cool and the fact that it was your grandmothers makes it a great subject for photographing.